From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:54:21 -0500
Dear Mariah,

This is a tricky one.  Pease described it as a Patella in The Proceedings
of the Zoological Society of London.  The issue was scheduled to appear in
1860 (and so the cover indicates), but it did not get circulated until
1861.  This is certainly not the first or last time a conchological journal
was a little late off the press.

The proper way to write the name is Cellana sandwicensis (Pease, 1861)
[note orthography], and the citation of the paper is:

Pease, W. H., 1861 (1860).  Descriptions of forty-seven new species of
shells, from the Sandwich Islands, in the collection of Hugh Cuming. Proc.
Zool. Soc. London [vol. not given in my secondary sources]: 431-438.

Harry

At 07:42 PM 2/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>    I have just recieved a Collisella sandwichensis, Keahoe Bay, Hawaii.
>Rice's Prices says that it is an Acmaea, but I can't find the author and
>date, can anyone help, please?
>
>    Thanks!
>    Mariah

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm