From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:55:33 -0500
Many thanks to all who answered this question: there is plenty of latinist
here!
It's a pleasure for me to listen to those who know, and if I have not
misunderstood your comments, the answer to the original question may
be "Yes, you can change yourself the incorrect names that you find here and
there, but only if you are totally sure that they are incorrect" isn't it
so?
About the comment of Dr. David Campbell, it makes me remember another
question that I had in mind: to what extent can we make changes in Latin
alphabet? It seems logical to respect the "w" for English names, but then,
what about "ç" for Portuguese or French ones, or "ö" for Germans, "ñ" for
Spanish and so on? Is there any limit? (I hope you can see all
this 'special characters') And once in that, what about the double authors
names, such as "Clench and Turner"? Must not it be "Clench et Turner"?
This are all questions maked in good faith (bona fide), not retoric
questions: I ask because I don't know, and I want to learn...

Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Malaga
Spain