From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:59:39 -0500
Dear Henk,

Baker, H. B., 1961.  Beckianum - new genus (or subgenus of Leptinaria Beck,
1837?) in Achatinidae (Subulininae).  Nautilus 75(2): 84. Oct.  It is only a
brief note, so I'll copy (with unaltered spacing and punctuation but without
diacriticals and italics) it to this missive:

"Type species is Synopeas beckianum (Pfeiffer) H. B. Baker, 1945, Naut. 58:91;
1947 Naut 61(1); plate 1, from Cordoba, Mexico.  As stated by Zilch, 1959,
Handb. Palazool. 6(2):351, Synopeas Jousseaume, 1889, is a homonym of Foerster,
1856.

"As pointed out in 1945:88, this unique species is very distinct from either
Opeas (Ferussaciinae) or Lamellaxis and Leptinaria, sensu stricto (Subulininae)
but, from its shell structure, it may belong near Pelatrinia Pilsbry, 1907
(1):324, which was proposed as a subgenus of Leptinaria.  Pelatrinia has a
larger, more conoid and imperforate shell, which carries its columellar cord
into the aperture - H. BURRINGTON BAKER."

I am interested in this group of pulmonate landsnails, which seems to have both
sinistral and dextral species.

Harry

At 07:14 PM 3/28/01 +0300, you wrote:

> Dear Conchlers,
> I need urgently the author of the genus Beckianum, Fam. Subulinidae.
> Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
> Best regards,
> Henk K. Mienis
> National Mollusc Collection
> Dept. Evolution, Systematics & Ecology
> Hebrew University of Jerusalem
> IL-91904 Jerusalem, Israel
> E-mail: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
www.jaxshells.org