From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:19:59 +0300
Dear Paul,
The name "Sea Lice" is used for a number of marine animals. If
Salmon-growers are speaking about Sea Lice then they mean a crustacean
Lepeophtheirus salmonis, a serious parasite of salmons.
However, when swimers/divers speak about Sea Lice then they are usually
dealing with either juvenile stages of jellyfish or sea-anemones. Especially
the larval stage of the sea anemone Edwardsiella lineata is known as a Sea
Lice. When it get trapped between a bathing suit and the skin it releases a
toxin, which creates a burning/stinging reaction. Good information you will
find at:
http://www.fairharbor.com/fhca_beach_safety_sea_lice.htm

Best regards,
Henk K. Mienis