From:
"Tom Rice (Of Sea and Shore)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:02:36 -0700
Linda,

Remove the animal BEFORE drying, using a razorblade or sharp knife, if some
flesh remains you can set the chiton "bottom up" and fill the cavity with
bleach (might use a bowl filled with sand to stabilize the upside-down
specimen).

Disarticulated specimens take a bit of practice, but start by doing one
specimen at a time and setting the valves in proper order in any cleaning
solution (bleach). You'll soon note the head and tail valves and the
sequence of those between. One hint the slits on the ends of each valve will
be perpindicular to a flat surface if placed in the correct order.

Good luck!

Tom Rice