Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:21:18 -0500
The green Snail of Manus Island of the coast of Papua New Guinea is another
wonder of the world to me. Seems to me if Manus island is still here after
mankind has vanished from the earth ,the snail will still be here. Manus
Island is made up of high rocky mountains except a very small land area near
the coast.This snail lives in these mountains which can not even be logged
much less farmed. On top of this the mountains are covered with a rain forist
canapy.Then there are huge tall trees that grow threw the canopy and this
smart little critter lives in the tpo of these trees. It is a true wonder
anything could find such a un hospitable place to live. A few go to local
markets from around the edge of the mountains. A United States team went
looking for them in the dry season and could not find one so they put them on
the endangerd list. They go under the bark of the trees when it is dry.You can
bet there are tons of them on the island but man or anythig else is not going
to get them. Glenn Tolman.