From:
ronald noseworthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:41:54 -0800
Hi, Everyone!

Now it's my turn to tell a story about pets and shells.  I thought that I would never get the opportunity to tell anyone but a few family members.

In 1976 I began dredging for shells in Southern Newfoundland.  I was surprised at the variety of species I was bringing up, and also the large numbers of chitons, particularly Tonicella rubra and T. marmoreus.

On one occasion I dredged in a new locality and obtained about eighty specimens of both species.  I was very excited and carefully dried the chitons.  As both species are fairly small, they were well-dried after a few weeks.  One evening I untied them from their drying boards and placed them on a small table in our kitchen.  My wife and I went out to visit my parents for a couple of hours, but, when we returned, all my chitons had disappeared!

I began to search for them but to no avail.  Our cat, Scratch, was rubbing around my legs as I tried to find the missing chitons.  Finally I gave up and decided to search again later.  I had no idea what could have happened to them.  About an hour later, I heard a retching sound in the hallway near the living room.  Scratch was vomiting profusely on the linoleum.  As I approached the distressed cat, I was amazed to see chitons in the puke!  Scratch was always hungry, so he must have smelled the dried bodies of the chitons and consumed them all.

I stubbornly resolved to recover all the chitons I could, so, while my wife fled the scene, I knelt down by Scratch and began to pick out the chitons.  The smell was, well...interesting!  I recovered about sixty of them and had to rinse them thoroughly.  However, even after partially passing through the digestive track of an ever-hungry tomcat, they were in good condition.  Some have been traded but most of them are still in my collection.

Who's next?
Ron