From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:34:39 -0500
Paolo,
Mediterranean is believed to have dried completely about 5 million years
ago. If there were any species common to it & the other seas before then,
they probably all died out during the dry period. I believe most of the
water that refilled the basin came from the Atlantic Ocean after the
Straights of Gibraltar opened.

The following site has good maps of what the Earth looked like in the past:
http://www.scotese.com/earth.htm

Aydin