From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:39:36 +0000
Preserving an animal is generally done with ethanol, propanol, or
formalin (formaldehyde made slightly less odiferous - but not
recommended for long-term storage of shells even if neutralized).
Propanol is cheapest, and can be obtained in 90% strength, which is most
useful.  However, Ethanol in the form of overproof vodka or rum (about
70% i think?) is also not too expensive so i have been told.  I don't
know why fading should be reported - could have been due to some
denaturing agent in the alchohol being used.  If space is a
consideration, the beasties could be pickled for a month or so, then
placed in sealed bags (using one of those freezer-bag sealing devices,
perhaps), wrapped in an alchohol-soaked paper towel.   I don't know of
any other readily-available preservant that would fit the bill - anybody??