From:
Bruno Mathé <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:58:30 +0100
Paolo Giulio ALBANO wrote :
> Moreover I also heard, but of this I do not have
> personal experience, that even in places like Sharm el-
> Sheikh (Sinai, Egypt) you can not fly away with shells
> in your luggage.
[...]
> I heard the same about Hurghada (Egypt) and about
> Maldives (Indian Ocean). I would be grateful to anyone who may confirm or
> correct or add details on what I wrote, especially if you had personal
experiences.

Hello all,

I confirm for the Maldives. Shelling is also totally banned in Seychelles
Island an Mauritius Island. But if you can't find any dealer of local shells
in Seychelles (the shells comes from Philippines), it seems that nobody know
the law in Mauritius. When you talk with natives, the answer is "yes, it is
"a little" banned". And you can buy endemic species - harpa costata, lambis
violacea, etc. - without any difficulties (but with lot of money).

Olivier : more about pollution in Mauritius if you want, but in french :-)

Regards
Bruno