From:
Burton Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 21:38:51 -0800
Would someone please clarify the difference if any in the names
"Pleurotomaria hirasei" and "Perotrochus hirasei," which seems to be the
name of the mystery Pleurotomariidae mentioned in this and earlier CONCH-L
Digests? Are these synonymous names? A&D, 2000, seem not to use the genus
name, Perotrochus.

Although something of a novice, I examined the shell here discussed
<http://www.manandmollusc.net/mystery_shell_avril.html> with one that we
have locally, in the Archerd collection
<http://nighthawk.tricity.wsu.edu/museum/ArcherdShellCollection/gastropoda/P
leurotomariidae.html>. The Archerd shell was originally labelled Perotrochus
hirasei, and except for a slightly shorter slit length, our shell is
otherwise quite like the Pleurotomaria hirasei shell pictured in A&D, 2000.
Our shell was collected in Japan in 1960.

Thank you.

Burton Vaughan