From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:28:30 -0400
Thanks, Bill, for the update. That is a five mm increase in the known
size range. But it is still not a great variation compared to some
Cypraea species.  Does anyone have any thoughts on why the range is so
large for some species and so small for others?

Cyp. erosa ranges from 71.3 mm (British Museum - Indo Pacific) down to
16.2mm (Marty Beals) from Rabaul.

The widespread and very common Cypraea lynx ranges from a magnificent 85
mm (Paris Museum...these sizes are again the 1999 records...Bill and
others can update them, I am sure!) to Pete Stimpson's minute 18.2 mm
record specimen.

The large one comes from the "Indo-Pacific" so there's no help there.
Pete's tiny one came from the Philippines, which is near the Equator.
Equatorial regions often produce tiny cowries, I understand, while the
same species may be much larger farther north or south. There's a clue
there, I am sure.

However, Cyp. errones ranges from 44.8 mm (Pete Stimpson - Bohol P.I.)
to 12.7mm (Pete Stimpson - Bolinao, P.I.) so C. errones seems unaffected
by whatever the equatorial factor is.  There is much to wonder at in the
pages of the Registry!

Lynn Scheu