From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:26:45 -0600
Sorry I haven't had time to read my e-mails, or I would have
been more timely only this ID.  The "slug" is a Stomatella, and
looks to be Stomatella impertusa.  There are a couple of good
photos of live animals of this species in Okutani's "Marine
Mollusks in Japan," including one photo where the snail is
autotomizing a large part of its foot.  When you expose these
guys, they will be perfectly still for a moment, and they don't
even look like anything with a shell.  After a few moments
the will seek a new hiding place, and will speed from their
spots so quickly that you still won't think they are snails.  As
you pick them up, many will drop off most of the foot, leaving
the beautifully-colored shell plainly visible.

Cheers,

Don