From:
"Greenan, Michele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:14:52 -0500
Thanks all!!

Actually, I tried bleach, soaking a few of them overnight.  This did not do
anything except make some a bit transluscent.  Than I moved to Muratic acid,
CLR, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, acetone, vinegar, and boiling for 48 hours
(with and withough BIZ).

The vinegar had the best results, but a chemist contacted me and said it was
time to move towards a base.  Today I will try Lye.  I had no idea these
freshwater guys were so incredibly strong! wow!! In archaeological samples,
we find them with no periostracum.  Why is it that in nature, the
periostracum deteriorates first, but in a lab I can't get it off with acids?