From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 09:02:03 -0400
Bob,
Interesting calculations. I have one comment. I don't know what the
distribution of the number of teeth looks like, but I am assuming that it is
normal. I also don't know how large your standard deviations are. But recall
that a normal distribution is symmetric by definition. Thus, you don't
double the sample number to calculate the chances of finding 2 specimens an
equal standard deviation units away on each side of the mean. For example,
if in helvola the hypothetical specimens with 10 or 21 labial teeth are just
above the observed range, I will assume that either specimen is about 4
standard deviations away from the mean. Since the distribution is symmetric,
on the average 0.13% of the  specimens will be in the range 3-4 standard
deviations smaller & another 0.13% of the specimens will be in the range 3-4
standard deviations larger than the mean. In other words, in a 1000-specimen
sample, one may expect to have about 1 shell with 10 & 1 shell with 21
teeth. The actual percentages depend on the actual standard deviations.

Of course, shells with 10 or 21 teeth don't have to exist just because
statistics predict that they would. There may be genetic constraints
preventing extreme shells from developing.

Aydin