Date:
Wed, 27 May 1998 21:51:40 -0400
Bobbi Cordy wrote:

> JaBrWh wrote:
> >
> > Greetings Conchlanders,
> > Hello Bill Frank. I live in Fort Lauderdale and saw a TV news story on the
> > population
> > of Queen Conchs (Strombus gigas) increasing. That was just last week. It is
> > good too see.I have been diving and beachcombing in South Florida since 1961
> > and have never
> > bought any shells from a shell shop. (sorry owners) It always makes me cringe
> > when
> > I see the huge warehouse type stores such as in the Keys and think that we are
> > forbidden to to take specimens from the water. Maybe before too long the
> > situation
> > will change. Hopefully that news story is correct.
> > Best regards,
> > Brad
>
> I have to get my two cents worth in here.  We have a friend who
> regularly collects on Peanut Island and she says it is now swarming with
> Strombus gigas.
>
> We frequently go to the Bahamas. On the island of Eleuthera where we
> stay we see hundreds of Queens brought in every day for their food
> source.  We also snorkel and collect there and always find beds of these
> beautiful shells.  The Bahamians have been collecting these shells for
> years and they are still abundant?  Figure that out?
> --
> Jim & Bobbi Cordy
> Specializing in Self-Collected
> Caribbean & Florida Shells

Most likely because they collect them for food and maybe a few for the
tourists, not to strip a species bare for profit as I have witnessed.
This is not directed at anyone personally for the one I witnessed is not
on conch-L as far as I know.  Has anyone else been disgusted by the
dealer in the lower Keys (Shell Shack, I think)  Where huge piles of
strombus gigas and large sea biscuits lie around and rot in the sun?  He
swears they come from Haiti. But they just lie in the dirt and the piles
grow everytime we pass, it is so sad and disgusting.  M&M Huggins, Bay
Harbor FL.