From:
Amy Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:54:58 -0400
A recent study on opisthobranchs suggested that Boss's estimated worldwide total underestimates the Indo-Pacific opisthobranch fauna alone and thus is rather short of the global total.
Pierre Bouchet has been trying to keep up with all proposed names and some estimation of how many of the proposed names are any good.  I do not remember recent totals from that work.
The rate of discovery of new taxa certainly suggests that generous estimates may be more accurate.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics