From:
"Marlo F. Krisberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 19:41:13 -0400
Linda,

First, it would be nice to know where you collected them.  However, if all
were found in the same locale and the adult has ridges over the entire
shell, you probably are collecting M. campechiensis (Gmelin, 1791).  M.
mercenaria has a smooth center in the large shells.  M. m also frequently
has purple on the interior, but very rarely so for M. c.  There was a named
form (notata Say) that has a brown zigzag pattern on the exterior, which can
be sparse or cover almost all the shell.  In my experience the pattern
persists in the adult shell.  I've found that for both the ridges are more
pronounced in the juveniles.

V. rigida would be a very rare find in Florida (Abbott restricts it to the
Keys).  If all those you found were from the SE coast and have color pattern
on the exterior, consider Puberella (Chione) intapurpurea (Conrad, 1849).

Marlo