From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:47:55 +1200
>Hello Conchlers,
>
>Not everyone on this list might be aware of Geerat Vermeij, Ph.D.,
>Yale (1971), Professor. Recipient of the Daniel Giraud Elliot Medal
>by the National Academy of Sciences; MacArthur Award Recipient.
>
>This gentleman is blind and views his shells and all of his work
>through his finger tips.  Truly an amazing feat and man.

Yes, he's amazing, blind from early childhood (and even then, if I
remember correctly what he told me, he could only make out colors,
not images) and also physically partially disabled, but he can all
but tell a shell's colors by touch.

He visited here some years ago, when he was working on labral
projections used by predatory gastropods for wedging prey open.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand