From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:22:53 +1200
>In French the umlaut does not exist . Instead we use a  diaeresis ( " trèma
>" ) which seems not to exist in the French computer keypad  . Franck Frydman

Bruguière... there, I copied it from Word, the only way I can get
accents into my e-mails. I DO use accents in my collection lists etc,
which I do in Word.

>I want to explain more about Umlaut. The ae, oe, ue are setting mainly when
>a computer
>couldn't read all the ä, ö and ü. In former time and in Latin all is written
>in Umlaut
>So Rossmaessler or as species maybe rossmaessleri or huettneri, eg.
>the Umlauts are
>ae for ä
>oe for ö
>ue for ü

Some areas in Germany do not use umlauts, and there you will find the
extra e inserted instead. It's not really a computer-related thing,
as most e-mail programs can, I think, accomodate accents; the writers
just can't gennerally be bothered.

Of course there is never any kind of punctuation used in taxonomic
names (despite some folk inserting hyphens where they don't belong,
eg into Tibia insulaechorab, Conus milneedwardsi), so the author has
to decide whether or not to add an e in place of an umlaut if he
can't type one. My own preference in such case would be not to use an
e, so: rossmassleri, guntheri (though I may be technically incorrect
in not doing so).
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand