From:
MR ART WEIL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:19:54 -0500
I don't think you understand. Species should not be able to be
confused by spelling differences. When a one letter difference is the
first letter, there is usually no problem: Cat is different from Rat.
But in our longer names from Latin, spelling differences are often
described as: mis-spelling for--------. There are sometimes the SAME
spellings for different species. One example comes to mind: nesiotica
is two Epitonidae, one an Asperiscala, and the other a Dentiscala.
(go figure). I believe it is part of the job of the ICZN to clarify.
If it isn't----it should be. We are nowhere near running out of
Latinized names. Those that appear to be confusing should be changed.

      Art