From:
MP Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:14:20 +0100
Dear Conchs

I am not a shell collector, nor a conchologist, nor any kind of biologist,
but I am very interested in the collectors and dealers of shells as part of
a general study of natural history dealers 1750-1950. In particular the
London-based dealers Bryce McMurdo Wright snr (1814-1875) and jnr
(1850-1895) and John Calvert (1825-1897). I am writing a biography of the
latter and his scurrilous life. Another name is a Mr. F.A. Verkreutzen (or
Verkruzen) of London whose "extensive" collection of shells ("nearly 20000
specimens, including over 5000 distinct species") was bought by the
Nottingham [UK] Free Museum in 1872. (I am Registrar at Nottingham Museums.)

I am curious to know if any list members have come across these people or
specimens from their dealerships or collections? Calvert's large collection
languished in London for several decades after his death and was eventually
brought to New York in 1938 by the American mineral dealer Martin Ehrmann
(1904-1972).

I'd be interested to hear of any information, no matter how trivial!

thanks

Michael Cooper