From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:49:29 +0000
        Sometimes it takes a controversial proposal such as Mr. Kinmann's
unusual theories regarding Mollusca evolution, to get people thinking
about and discussing things they might not otherwise cogitate about or
discuss!   I personally found at least portions of the incredible storm
of messages that ensued, **extremely** interesting - just looking up the
technical terms alone was an educational process!!  I WAS quite
surprised, however, at the depth of emotions that at time peeped through
in some of the responses - it reminded me of historical accounts of the
Velekovsky affair!!  Anyway, many people learned quite a bit about the
such topics as cladistics, "bivalved" gastropods, and the way that
science works in general - as well as the fact that emotions are not
entirely absent from scientific debates.....   i also found the level of
erudion shown by some of the more detailed responses, quite amazing.
        So,  i don't think we should be calling people down because their ideas
are unconventional or even somewhat "off the wall" - even this sort of
posting can lead to some wonderful discussions.

From the Great Wet North,
Ross M.