From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:07:35 -0800
Dear all,

I've just heard about "coral calcium" which is supposed to be a more
bio-available form of nutritional supplement.

As an RN, I'm curious about whether there are any studies at all on this
claim. A cursory check only turned up many outfits selling this product.
There's a statement by one doctor to the effect that there's no evidence of
coral calcium being more beneficial--and it's on a page sponsored by a
business selling the conventional calcium supplement.

On some of the product pages, there are claims that they use only
above-sea-level fossilized coral, which is in more bio-available (allegedly)
aragonite form. Other coral calcium apparently has been mined from living
reefs or below the reefs.

This all sounds a little bizarre and like another threat to marine habitats.

(Who knows, now there's robust evidence that fish oil supplements are
beneficial for cardiovascular health).

David Kirsh
Durham, NC