From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:03:29 GMT
Conch-Ler's,
Overcollection for perfection is a common phenomenom now.  Ask coin collectors.  The price can go up by powers of ten for slightly better grades of preservation as they approach 'perfection'.  Of course, thousands of common coins are not killed to find the best ones.  Perhaps there are just too many people with too much disposable income, willing to pay the premium.  Perhaps if most people whould realize that they are not going to put their shells in a competitive show, and that few people will be able to break even, let alone realize a profit for the ultimate sale of their shells, they would be less willing to pay so much for so little of a difference.  But as one who happily self collects beach shells and fossils, and finds beauty in even commercial grade shells, I am, apparently, in the minority. Perhaps dealers can make lower grades available at discounts without losing money.  It may even help children get into the hobby!

Thanks to Kevin for the untitled posting on over collecting. I'm printing and saving it. It never ceases to amaze me how much destruction is wrought by greed. I enjoy the hunt and collecting. I value what I can discover myself much more than trades or purchases. I wonder if its worth it to pay big money for a rare specimen that some poor Filipino diver gets bent or dies trying to collect.

I totally agree. It is next to impossible to detect flaws until a specimen is cleaned.  This especially true under water.
when even careful examination doesn't show flaws.

 Sometimes its hard to know where to draw the line. Kevin's input helps put perspective on a difficult issue. We all need to watch out and collect responsibly. If you don't, those who want to shut down collecting all together will win.

Merry Christmas,  Happy New Year and Great Shelling to all.

Paul Kanner

Allen Aigen