From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:55:15 +0100
Hi Linda,

In Philippines, for I know, an average range could be 50-350 m. Nets could
stay for a long time (even months) at the bottom if people are searching for
shells more than fishes. (In Europe, tangle nets are used as down as 1800
m.)

By the way, I can't agree with your statement on localities, because it is
way easy to invent a very precise location (such as "200 m. East from the
lighthouse, under the second big rock at the right") specially if you are
familiar with the area, and more if you know something about the species
itself. Also, if you are not very silly and have a good map is easy to
invent even GPS coordinates. So, many times, "Mactan, Cebu, Philippines" is
the most accurate a honest dealer could say you, if there are no better data
available.

At last, as it was said in the list, is more a matter of the confidence you
may have in a particular dealer.

Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Málaga, Spain