From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:38:59 -0500
Dear Carole and other shellers,
Just got back from a great shell collecting trip to Guaymas/San Carlos in
Sonora in Mexico on the Gulf of Mexico, so missed the first series of
comments on this subject.  For those interested in molluscs that
bioluminescence, there are over 90 cephalopods which do so, the best known
is the animal of Spirula spirula Linnaeus, 1758.  The best known bivalve is
the European angel wing Phalas dactylus Linnaeus, 1758. A single land shell
Quantula striata (Gray, 1834), the freshwater New Zealand limpet already
mentioned Latia neritoides Gray, 1850 and six or so Planaxaidae also have
animals that bioluminescence.  For more information see: Ponder, W.F.
"Bioluminescence in Hinea braziliana (Lamarck) (Gasteropoda:Planaxidae)"
Journal of Malacological Studies (1988) 54:361;  Tsuji, Frederick I.
"Molluscan Bioluminescence" in The Mollusca.  Karl M. Wilbur, ed. NY: 1983
Academic Press 2. 257-273; and  Gettleman, Alan "Blinded by the Light or The
Strange Case of Bioluminescence in Non-Cephalopod Molluscs" Central Florida
Shell News, October, 1994, p.3.

Alan Gettleman
in snowy (yes snowy) Merritt Island, Florida