From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:19:26 EDT
Coincidentally, what with all this talk of Xenophora, I found one in a shell
shop that had all sorts of interesting objects affixed at extremely unlikely
angles; big chunks of finger coral, frog shells and large bivalves. These had
been applied to the shell, um, post mortem. The cement was clear and shiny,
probably Krazy Glue. There were also some small gastropods that the snail had
genuinely attached to itself. What impressed me about this fake was not how
good it was, but how bad, how blatant. If it had been a halfway decent fake, I
would never have spotted it, being a beginner and all.