From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 01:20:02 +0000
Thanks Paul.  I am still not really happy with this theory (or any other
of the several suggestions which came in off-list), since i have seen 4
of them now, and they are all the same: almost no pattern, very limited
variability, and not typical of adult colorvariegatus.  Perhaps they
represent a local population - i can't seem to obtain an exact locality.
 Surely there are some cone ex spurts on the list that could rectify the
situation and provide a really solid identification?

-JR.
                  Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>

I have been puzzling over this one for a while: it just doesn's seem to
match anything in the IndoPacific cone book.
http://schnr-specimen-shells.com/Mystery.html  If someone can figure it
out they would earn my undying gratitude.

Thanks from the wet, wet wilds of Neuvelle Ecosse,
Ross M.

                  Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Ross,

It looks to me like a light-colored form of Conus neptunus colorovariegatus
Kosuge. It has the typical shape and sculpture, and the typical white apical
whorls. Check out plate 17, figure 19 in the Indo Pacific book. That figure
shows a juvenile, but it looks like the same color form you have.

Regards,
Paul