From:
Alex Fraissinet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:44:52 +0200
At 18:57 14-06-1998 -0400, you wrote:
>>I am looking for some sort of computer program with which I can
>>catalogue and classify my shell collection.  To date everything has been
>>hand written and very tedious.  There must be a program others utilize
>>for this purpose.  I've have heard that FileMaker Pro works, but I would
>>prefer not spending that kind of money for a general program when I
>>desire something very specific.  Any help or advice you can provide will
>>be greatly appreciated.  My preference is for a program that is VERY
>>user friendly!  Thanks.
>>
>>Chris Brown  [log in to unmask]

Dear Chris,

There is no good programm to catalogue and classify your shell collection.
You can try Eudora, but that is very expensive and limited in posibilities.
So you have to do what everybody does: write your own program. To do that
you can use dBase, Paradox or another relational database program. But than
you must know exactly what you wants.
To have a program that is VERY user friendly means for me you can not write
such a program by yourself.

I suggest to use the Word Perfect Pro suite, version 7 or 8. That includes
Paradox. With Paradox you can make dBase databases and that is compatible
with almost every other database. But with the WPsuite you have also Quatro
Pro, an easy to use spreadsheet. On eacht line of the spreadsheet you can
sort your knowings, so in each column you get the same kind of data.
When you are ready with development of the kind of data you want, you can
generate 'automatical' a dBase database.

I have build many tools in dBaseIII+ and collect that to a kind of program.
It looks very oldfashioned, but it does the job, for me. But is created for
my own needs and it is NOT user friendly.

So, if you write what you want/wish it is possible that we (the
Conch-L-people) can give you better advise
Succes, Alex F.