From:
jan neefs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:09:38 +0200
Hello Erin , I recognise a lot in your introduction , I live in The
Netherlands where the beaches are sometimes loaded with shells, but only
half bivalves, or shells, like Cardium edule, the cockle , that are in my
opinion not so interesting to collect .

But sometimes we can find some small treasures over here , and a lot of
people likes to beachcomb over here .

I prefer collecting by snorkling , and over here that is not quite possible,
because the water is always muddy grey , and  just a couple of months the
right temperature to swim .

well , you mention the "killing" of shells for your collection , I know a
lot of other people , who dislike this too  , but if I find a really good
shell , I toss and turn the shell over and over again to consider if I
really need this one in my collection , I actually  will do this, I'm sorry
, but I feel if this shell lives for a few years more and it will die and so
become a very worn out beached shell , nobody will ever know what a beauty
it was when it was alive . And now when it is "killed " , labelled , and in
a box in my collection , I will never forget it's living beauty .

Maybe that is a simple way of " forgetting " I killed an animal  for my own
pleasure, but I don't feel a sadistic kind of hunger to do this . It is pure
for study of these shells I collect those .
I've noticed some things about shells, when I cleaned them , and so learn
more about them , and even more if I collected them dead .

If the shells were crabbed, but still shiny , and in a fair condition I take
them home too , so I hope you understand how I feel about collecting, and I
hope you will learn more and more about shells , and their collectors too of
course .

Kind regards, Jan Neefs
The Netherlands