From:
The Skoglunds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:17:35 -0500

>Never heard about someone eating cowries somewhere ?

In the early 80s on Kwajalein, one of our friends was an Hawaiian.  He
delighted in telling me how many years ago on Hawaii they used to throw the
large Hawaiian tiger cowries into a beach bonfire and then crack the shells
to get the meat to eat.  Now whether that was true or he was just telling
me that to see the horror on my face over what I considered the waste of
what is now an expensive cowrie, I don't know.

Joan, in Huntsville