From:
Sebastian Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:29:26 +0100
Hi:

I'm going on holiday in Thailand in December and as I haven't been there
before, would appreciate advice about shelling there.

Three specific questions:
(a)  I don't collect live shells - I collect empty shells from beaches
and while snorkelling.  Are there any restrictions on this?  And what
about exporting the shells I collect?
(b)  Can anyone suggest useful books / references for identifying Thai
shells?  I'm going to be on the SW coast from Krabi down to Tarutao.  I
already know about Swennen et al. 2001 (have ordered a copy but haven't
yet seen it).
(c)  Can anyone suggest particularly good localities; or particular tips
about shelling in that area (my only real experience is in Britain and
in the Mediterranean):  I'm interested in finding as wide a range of
species as possible in reasonable condition, including micro shells;
I'm not particularly interested in the showy genera, or in particular
rarities.

Any help much appreciated,

Bas Payne