From:
Michael Hölling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:08:11 +0100
Dear Henk,
in Gert Lindner's book I found the following statements: (translated from
German) Family Haminaeidae Pilsbry 1895 (for the spelling see ICZN, case
2588) Haminoeidae [after Haminoea Turton & Kingston 1830; Haminaeidae [after
Haminaea J. E. Gray 1847 ex Leach manuscript = nomen nullum]; Atyidae Thiele
1925 [now Atydidae - nomen validatum ICZN, Opin. 1553]
... Genera: Haminaea Leach 1820; ...
has something changed since my latest edition of the Lindner book appeared
in 1999?

>The family name Atyidae in Mollusca dates back to Thiele, 1926 (some
authors refer this work to >1925, but that is not so important). It included
among others the genera Atys and Haminoea(often incorrectly spelled as
Haminaea).
>In fact the name Atyidae was not necessary at all because Pilsbry had
created in 1895 already the subfamily Haminaeinae (sic!), which becomes
automatically Haminoeidae when raised to family level (note the correct
spelling).

>Moreover Atyidae existed already in the Crustacea: Atyidae Dana, 1852,
which name has also been >placed on the official list of family names by the
ICZN.

>This means: Forget the name Atyidae in mollusca and replace it by
Haminoeidae.

>Best regards,

>Henk K. Mienis

Greetings from Germany