Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:00:13 +0200
Sometimes the contributing authors are mentioned in the preface, sometimes
their names are (or his or her name is) written behind the proposed new name
(or at the end of the description) and they have to be quoted for example as
Xxxxxxx in Olsson & Harbison, 1953.

However, several works are causing real confusion. For example the
well-known book: The Sea Shells of Sagami Bay, published in 1971, has as
authors Kurode, Habe & Oyama, however, it contains the descriptions of 104
new taxa. Most of them are not by K, H & O, but by another combination of
contributing scientists. What to say about:
Siliquaria armata Kuroda, Habe & Kosuge in Kuroda, Habe & Oyama, 1971 or
Nodiscala gracilis Masahito, Kuroda & Habe in Kuroda, Habe & Oyama, 1971?

The marine mollusc chapter  in the nice little guide (in German): Weichtiere
by Fechter & Falkner, 1990, has to be quoted as Fechter in Fechter &
Falkner, 1990, and the part dealing with the land- and freshwater snails as
Falkner in Fechter & Falkner, 1990. However the latter part contains the
description of a new Clausiliid species by Nordsieck.  Has this part to be
quoted as Carinigera limbrunneri H. Nordsieck in Falkner in Fechter &
Falkner, 1990.

The well-known trilogy: Philippi, R.A., 1842-1851. Abbildungen und
Beschreibungen neuer oder wenig gekannter Conchylien, contains the
descriptions of hundreds of new species of which the responsible authors are
often German compatriots like Von dem Busch and others, who have to be
qouted like Nerita incerta Von dem Busch in Philippi......

It's my opnion that new species have to be described in papers by the
original author, prior to the inclusion of these names in books. In that way
they can be quoted later correctly in books by other authors.
Henk K. Mienis