Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:10:16 -0500
Andy,

I rented a house on the Outer Banks last August up in the Corolla-area and
my daughters and I were able to observe uncountable numbers of Donax
variabilis inhabiting the surf for miles.  There were as many as 50 live
Donax in every scoopful of sand picked up along the surf-line, even on the
more crowded beaches.  This was probably the greatest concentration of
Donax I've encountered in my years of collecting.  I doubt that the
open-ocean waters are very polluted though it would be interesting to know
what effect Hurricane Isabel had on the Donax populations?

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s2091.htm

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com