From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:42:25 +1000
To those interested in the on-line Hawaiian Shell News "archive"...

I was glad to hear of the availability of all those years of HSN information and
went to check it out when I found some time.

As a service to those wanting to use this 'new' resource, and with some
disappointment, I must warn you that there is considerably less information
available than the "44 years" mentioned at the web site. Also, there has been no
apparent effort to 'clean up' the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) generated
text on which the Search Engine relies for results.

With an obvious interest in the Cypraea, I soon found that 11 pages have errors
where "Cypraea" comes up as "Cwraea". I am not inclined to map out all of the
possible misspellings of all of the generic and specific names.

Also, there is a large lacuna from July, 1988 through December, 1991. No issues
are retrieveable. Some other years are missing months and there may be other
years like 1988 which shows all 12 months available but actually have fewer.

Hopefully, these problems are some technical glitch and not inherent to the
CD-ROMs which hold the HSN issues. If printed copies of the missing issues are
needed, I will be more than happy to lend them out.

Aloha,

Bob Dayle, webmaster, www.cowrys.org
http://www.cowrys.org/archive/