From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:52:40 +1000
David,

I most often use the freeze/thaw method to clean cones and suspect their
venom may still be toxic after freezing. If it is a particularly
venomous species or if I have a cut on my hand, I may opt to wear rubber
gloves. Perhaps someone may be able to speak directly to the stability
of these venoms. Do they remain potent after freezing or boiling?

I've witnessed a number of species envenomate their prey and, in those
instances, the agile proboscis made point contact with the prey.
Specific to Conus tulipa and geographus, the rostrum would envelop
around the fish, making it impossible to determine if there was contact
or not.

While collecting, I sometimes lightly tap the backside of an active
cone. The animal will then withdraw a little while it is placed into the
collecting jar.

Watching cones stalk their prey is always fascinating. My dive buddy
recently found a Conus aulicus and, wanting to get some pictures, he
kindly allowed me to keep it in my tank for about a week. I would watch
it in the evening, just after the lights went out, when it would become
quite active and roam the tank. It would wave its siphon about, fully
extended and sniffing for prey. It was hungry and he consumed several of
my small cowries (4 annulus, 1 moneta, and 1 caputserpentis). I never
managed to witness the attacks but each morning there would be another
dead cowrie, the shell resting upside down on the sand and squeaky
clean.

Cheers,
Bob