Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:53:49 -0400
Leave it alone!!
    Murex palmarosae is Murex palmarosae because that's what damn near all of us know it as. Maybe there is a previous nitch unfilled. But there is the principle of "Special Circumstance" that bars messing with an accepted name after 1950 A.D. You dont believe me? Look it up! No matter what you find----I'm right.
     Art

> From: "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/04/12 Mon PM 06:43:23 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: More nitpicking
>
> Dear John,
>
> The facts seem to be:
>
> (1) Triplex rosaria G. Perry is a senior synonym of Murex palmarosae
> Lamarck, 1822.  It is available name.  Myra Keen, apparently in error,
> reported that this Perry taxon was rejected by the ICZN as a secondary
> junior homonym of Purpura rosarium Röding, 1798
>
> , itself a junior synonym of Murex trunculus Linnaeus, 1758.
>

> At 02:55 PM 4/11/2004, you wrote:
> >The latest issue of American Conchologist has a review of a paper by
> >Richard Petit entitled “George Perry’s molluscan taxa and notes on the
> >editions of his Conchology of 1811”.
> >Thank you, Tom Eichhorst, for the review and for the URL where the entire
> >paper is available for free download.
> >
> >I was fascinated by the convoluted history of molluscan taxonomy, and the
> >story of politics, infighting, and dirty tricks among our revered authors.
> >It points out the need for continual refining of our printed “facts” and
> >beliefs.
> >
> >To someone interested in muricid nomenclature, there are two items that
> >stand out:
> >a) the need to change Chicoreus palmarosae to rosaria, and
> >b) under the discussion of Triplex pinnata, Petit indicates “Not Murex
> >pinnatus Swainson, 1822 which is a synonym of Pterynotus alatus (Röding,
> >1798).” Now, I think that implies that Petit considers alatus to be the
> >correct species name. However, I have been following Springsteen &
> >Leobrera, 1986 who assert on page 153 that that name was rejected (even
> >though erroneously) and the correct name is pinnatus.
> >
> >Any knowledgeable arbiters out there?
> >
> >  John Wolff
> >
> >Lancaster, PA -- USA
> >http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7m3zq/
>
> Harry G. Lee
> Suite 500
> 1801 Barrs St.
> Jacksonville, FL 32204
> USA
> Voice: 904-384-6419
> Fax: 904-388-6750
> Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
> www.jaxshells.org

> click leave the list.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!