From:
"M. J. Faber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:40:24 +0200

> Note that glycerine will attract acids if the shell is kept in an oak
> or particleboard (MDF etc) cabinet... I have gone back to using
> liquid paraffin on organic parts, as I have had several specimens
> coated with glycerine severely acid-damaged.
> --
> Andrew Grebneff

In old collections one often finds micro shells in tiny glass capsules
(often with a cork plug) inside bigger glass vials (usually with acidic cork
plugs too). Byne's disease is rampant here. Therefore it is tempting to
replace the tiny glass capsules with similar sized glycerine capsules.
But if the above is true then the remedy may be worse than the disease.
Andrew, do you know the mechanism behind the glycerine-acid attraction?

Marien
www.mollus.nl