From:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 16:05:03 -0600
My brother and I tried frying one (about 8 inch shell length) in butter.
This was in 1970 when I was stationed at Tyndall AFB, Florida, so I really
cannot comment too much on the taste (I have trouble remembering what I ate
last week sometimes), but I do remember neither of us liked it and it was
quite tough.  At the time I assumed we had over-cooked it - cooking fish is
not a big pastime in New Mexico.  I also remember that the dog was quite
happy to accept the remaining piece, and promptly took it outside and buried
it.  Maybe she knew something about fixing the taste and lack of tenderness
that we didn't.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico - just off the plane from the COA convention.

The convention was quite an affair, ran smoother than most and there were
plenty of quality programs.  The Bourse did seem a bit slow, but next year's
event in Sanibel is planned for a weekend Bourse and that ought to help a
bit.  The hotel wasn't cheap, but they were very service oriented.  I don't
think anyone could fault the staff, quality of food, or general
accommodations.  Betty Lipe and her folks had things well planned and had a
hotel willing to make things work, and work well.  Now that I am back in the
land of the enchilada, it will take about a week before I really wish I
could get a good grouper sandwich (I had one every day for lunch while in
Tampa).  There were some interesting shells in evidence, like: the first
Xenophora lamberti I have seen for sale in better than a decade, a near
perfect specimen of Thalassocyon bonus Barnard, 1960 (this is the New
Zealand deep, deep water Ficidae with spines around the shoulder, T. tui
Dell, 1967 is a synonym).  This rarity was offered by a first-time Bourse
attendee Mike Hart from New Zealand.  When I wrote up the Ficidae family
(American Conchologist, March 2001, Vol 29, No.1, 24-25, 31) I closed with
the statement that IF this species was ever offered it would cost in the
neighborhood of $2,000.  I was correct, and sadly have to report it is still
in Mike's hands - although I did get to hold it and examine it.  Mike has
agreed to take some photographs so we can feature it in an upcoming American
Conchologist.  In my article I used an artist's rendition based upon the
original description (turned out very close).  There were some very good
deals and some new and interesting shells.  I bought my first Spondylus
linguafaelis for less than I have paid for a nerite (admittedly only once,
but still....!  Of course, I also picked up a few nerites...  If you weren't
there, you missed a great time.  Hopefully I can report on enough of what
took place to entice those who didn't attend into joining us in Sanibel next
year.  Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

Tom E.