From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:52:02 -0700
Hi Milan, Your question is very interesting to me and I'd guess others on
the list as well.  One of the tricks that may be necessary for these
molluscan species to succeed in a hostile environment (such as a
hydrothermal vent or a hydrocarbon seep) is the ability to attract and
nurture communal bacteria that are able to extract energy from the available
chemicals entering the deep ocean.  However I don't think it would work the
same way for a whale fall.  I'm not an expert on the microbiology of such
creatures but it seems very likely to me.  Do others know more about this
subject?  Bert Bartleson