From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:58:13 -0600
Linda,

Someone must have just carried the "s" at the end of Neritodryas over to the
species name.  It is Neritodryas dubia (Gmelin, 1791).  He originally
described it as Nerita dubia (actually a redescription of a Chemnitz, 1781
write up that is not allowed by the ICZN as nonbinominal).  The genus
Neritodryas was created by Martens in 1869 and the type species, N cornea
(Linnaeus, 1758) was designated by Baker in 1923.  The name Neritodryas is a
combination of nerito (based on Nereus, a god of the sea in Greek mythology,
or Nereides, any one or all of his 50 to 100 sea nymph daughters, or his son
Nerites) + dryas, Latin for wood nymph, thus the wood nymph nerite.  Many of
this genus can be found far from water in trees and shrubs - although
technically each is still a water species.  Neat stuff!!

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA