From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:52:05 -0400
Hello and welcome.

We are happy to have you join us and hope you enjoy conch-L as much as we do.
I have a suggestion for you that may help in finding other people nearby who
are interested in shells.

Go to your local library and ask the librarian if she would like to have an
exhibit of shells for the library (temporary not permanent, it loses its
attraction if it stays too long). Having been a librarian I assure you she
will
probably bow down and kiss your feet.

Fix up a case of labeled shells, include some information about them.  Pick
your best shells. Let your imagination be your guide, like show a baby and an
adult of the same species.  I have been asked more than once "You mean shells
actually grow?"  (Of course the worst one I ever got was from a lady who said
"You mean something actually lives in there?)  You need to keep in mind that
the people looking at your exhibit may know absolutely nothing about shells.
Also you may want to put in a small blurb about conservation.

Then down in one corner of your case put a small card with something like -
"If you think shells are interesting, or already are a shell collector,
give me
a call, we might even be able to find enough people to form a Shell Club."
Include your phone number and even if no one calls, you have made one
librarian
very happy.

Betty Jean, The Tall One (and a Retired School Librarian)

At 10:17 AM 7/12/98 -0700, Avril / Henry Bourquin wrote:

> Hello to all you CONCH-Lers this Sunday AM,
>
> I am so happy to have been informed of your group by Wesley Thorsson. who I
> also met through E-Mail contact with the Hawaiian Shell Club Newletter.
>
> A few years back, I moved to the interior of British Columbia, Canada
where I
> now feel very land-locked. Previously, I lived part year in Vancouver, B.C.
> and par year in Hawaii.  I was a member of the Vancouver Shell Club for the
> years I was there.
>
> I classify myself as a novice shell collector.  I enjoy collecting all
> classes of shells from around the world.  My favorites are the cypraeas and
> murexes.  I also enjoy the macro shells and receiving shell sand from
> whomever I can encourage to send me such.
>
> On moving to this much land-locked area, I was hungry for someone with
whom I
> could discuuss and swap shells and shell stories with, so I placed an
> adverisement in the Valley newspaper asking that anyone interested in
> Conchology to please contact me.  I received six calls.  Each and everyone
> asked the same quesation,  "What is conchology?".  So much for any new
> contacts here.
>
> I did however, make one contact through the school system in Invermere and I
> gave him a sizeable, diverse collection of shells to use while teaching the
> area of invertibrates to his science classes.  This was a real hit amongst
> the students, many of which had never even touched a sea shell in their
> lives.  I have since had students talk to me in the streets saying how
> wonderful the shells are.  Who knows, maybe there will eventually be some
> interst in this Valley after all.
>
> I have very much enjoyed your conversations over the net this last week.  I
> look forward to each and every tidbit of info I can garnish.  I wish safe
> travels to all going to the COA convention and have a great time.  I look
> forward to hearing all about it on the net so share your stories.

Betty Jean Piech
Hockessin DE,USA
_@/-The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.-\@_