Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:09:24 -0600
Hello Conchlers,

Well, for sure one really does not know when you will cross paths with a
snail.

Today my husband, mining partner and I were doing assessment work on some of
our mineral claims way up a mountain (over 5,200 foot elevation).  There
sitting on a massive rock slide area was a tiny snail.

I brought him home to observe and identify.  He is an Oreohelix strigosa
(Rocky Mountain Snail) Gould, 1846. "Oreo", as he is now named, is living in
a private terrarium until I can return him to his alpine home.  He is now
busy munching on a lettuce leaf, surrounded by moss and rocks from his
homeland.

I suppose this sounds quite silly to everyone; but this is the first
terrestrial shelled gastropod that I have located in our area of the East
Kootenays so to me it's exciting!

If anyone is interested in more info on "Oreo" or has information to share
on this snail, please contact me.

All the best,
Avril Bourquin
PO Box 366