From:
Karen Vander Ven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:27:17 -0400
What a great way to put off work and not look at the pouring rain...
(answering  the questions)
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Andy Rindsberg wrote:

> Dear Shellers,
>
> I recently read a book about people who are obsessed with collecting
> orchids. The author said that only a few kinds of natural objects capture so
> many people's attention in this way, and mentioned butterfly and shell
> collectors as people who are similarly obsessed with beauty. Indeed.
>
> So let's look into this. If you like, please answer one or all of these
> questions, on line or in private:
>
> What kinds of shells take your breath away?

Ones that "look" rare.  Unusual colors.  Tulips. Cones.  Tellina magna.
Bivalves.

> Do you spend more time collecting and caring for shells, or just looking at
> them?

I love to collect, but spend lots of time processing them ( cleaning,
labelling, etc.) and looking at them.  When things get dull, I shell
my own collection and get out something I haven't seen in some years.

> Do you display your shells?

I always keep some out and nearby where I work.  When I encounter
a snag, I pick up the shells and look them over. Then I go back
to work and repeat the process when needed.

> Do you collect books about shells?   I have a number of books,
but don't collect them as I do shells.

> Do you talk much about them to other people, or is it a private activity?

I mostly talk to other collectors, on trips, e-mails, etc. >

> Do you appreciate shells for their looks or the way they feel?

Both.

> Is a living mollusk more beautiful, or a cleaned shell?

There is something exciting about a gorgeous just-collected
live specimen. I have a number of vivid memories of these, from
shell trips and could probably name about 15 spectacular shells
and the people who found them. To see such  a shell is a thrill
and I don't have to have found the shell myself to experience it.
It's just fun to admire the shell.

> Are self-collected specimens more precious, or those that cost a lot of
> money?

When you live in Pittsburgh, all shells are precious, no matter how
you get them.  I love my self collected shells, those shells  I buy from
dealers (love 'em all; most of those I buy aren't that expensive) and
those that  are gifts.  With reference to the latter, what can be more
special than a shell someone else knows you'll like and gives one to you ?

> Please feel free to send private notes if you prefer -- I may quote them on
> the server, but won't identify you.

I'd love to read others' responses.

Karen