From:
Alex Menez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:55:52 +0100
Hi

Syntopic refers to populations or species that occupy the same habitat and
are close together, and so could interbreed. Sympatric refers to populations
or species that are in the same geographical area. The two terms can be
(sort of!) considered to be used to describe the same thing, but at
different scales: syntopic at habitat scale, sympatric at geographical
scale. But to complicate things with the term sympatry, you can also have
biotic sympatry (populations occupy same habitat) and neighbouring sympatry
(where the populations occupy different habitats) but at the geogaphical
scale.