Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:38:52 -0500
Dear Kay et al;-
   In discussing the longevity of shells and their colors and qualities---I am forced to extrapolate:
   In what condition might the oldest of collected shells be?
    Which brings us to: what are the oldest known shell collections? Are shells collected in the dark ages known? Are there shells extant from Roman, Greek, or Egyptian times? Sure, there's the odd shell found in a cave and used as a scraper. But what about something just set aside to be admired for its form or beauty?
    A whole new subject: Histomalachology!
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    The Question Man.

> From: Kay Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/12/07 Tue PM 09:22:30 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Cleaning... source of equipment
>
> Arrgh, Andrew!
>
> First, it wasn't safe to keep the shells in cardboard boxes; then the wooden
> cabinets were bad news.  Even my plastic boxes were suspect.  And now glass???
>  Just when I thought that glass was ultra-safe--albeit breakable----
>
> Tell me it isn't so--
>
> Kay

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!