From:
Peter Hoefkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:06:17 +0100
Hi Andrew,

I am a bit curious about the size of the Hexaplex. Is its size in between
the maximum size of of H. stainforthi (approximately 65 mm) and the maximum
size of H cichoreum (approximately 130 mm), suggesting it is some kind of
intergradation, or is it a clear (but big) H stainforthi?
In the latter case, my guess would be it is an Australian shell.

I have never seen a intergradation between H stainforthi and H cichoreum. To
be honest I find that H stainforthi does not show much variation at all,
except for the spines. They can be quite delicate, or sometimes more
"node-like" probably as a result of living in rough water (surf)

Cheers,

Pete

P. Hoefkens
The Netherlands