Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:39:35 -0500
No, No, No---
    I know all that. People have been making jewelry out of shells for more than 50,000 years. Not what I'm asking. What I'm wondering is if there are collections like "WE" do dating from earlier than the 16th century. Did "Sir William Frisby of Essex" indulge in shell collecting on his 1482 trip to the continent---and did he box 'em up and will them to some budding museum?
    Did Sir Milton Hergesheimer bring back a collection of shells from the Red Sea when he returned from the 3rd crusade? (Everyone knows Miltie didn't like fighting very much)
    You know---that sort of thing!
        Art